Wednesday, April 14, 2010

2010 NHL PLayoffs

I haven't posted anything not serious lately. Playoff time seems like a good time to restart. I've made my predictions below. I didn't pick any upsets (5 over 4 doesn't count), so I'll probably be wrong in at least two series. Keep in mind that I don't predict series to end in 7 games, b/c that's like predicting who is going to get a lucky bounce.

Eastern Conference
(1) Washington
vs (8) Montreal
There shouldn't be any question about Washington's goaltending. There should be questions about its defense. Conversely, Montreal had a rough year, but got healthy at the right time. It'll buy them one more game. Washington in 5.

(2) New Jersey vs (7) Philadelphia
New Jersey has the games best goaltender of all time in Martin Brodeur, but he has finally looked human this year. They have underrated offense capabilities, but their defense hasn't been up to their glorious past. Philly has some offensive talent, a great defensive corps, and NO goaltending. These teams hate each other, and Philly will be out to play the body. This is going to be one of the best first-round series. NJ in 6.

(3) Buffalo vs (6) Boston
This series features the top 2 goaltenders in the East. It also features two inept offenses, and two fantastic 6'8'' defenders. I'm picking Buffalo for 2 reasons. 1) It's a homer pick. 2) Buffalo has some young guns, who I'm banking to be impervious to the pressure. Buffalo in 6.


(4) Pittsburgh vs (5) Ottawa
If memory serves me correct, this is a repeat of last year's first round. Pittsburgh has lost some luster compared to last year. If Malkin is up to par, and Fleury regains his stride, watch out. Ottawa is a weird team that could give Pittsburgh a run for their money if they click. I don't think they will. But this could be a great series. Pittsburgh in 6.

Western Conference
(1) San Jose vs (8) Colorado
If this matchup occured in December, it would've featured the top two teams in the West. But its April. Unless Craig Anderson has 3 shutouts, Colorado is done. San Jose in 4. (SWEEP!!!)

(2) Chicago vs (7) Nashville
LIke Washington, there are questions about Chicago's goaltending, and like Washington, I don't know why. They have a great defense and offense. Nashville had a rough beginning of the season but became hot at the right time. I like Chicago in this one. Chicago in 5.

(3) Vancouver vs (6) Los Angeles
This was supposed to be Vancouver's year to tear up the league, but Luongo struggled a bit. The Sedin twins more than enough made up for it. LA has a young team, but a lot rides on Jonathan Quick's shoulders. LA can wait until next year. Vancouver in 5.

(4) Phoenix vs (5) Detroit
This will be the best first round series. Detroit struggled early, but was baller since Christmas. Phoenix almost won their division, and surprised everybody. This series could go 7 games, but I can't pick that. I'm gonna pick Detroit in 6, but I'm not confident about this series. I do look forward to watching this one.

Stanley Cup Prediction: I can't shy away from picking Washington. No other team in the East seems to have played as consistently well as the Caps.

Any team in the West above the 5th seed has a chance at getting to the Cup. Chicago reminds me of Washington, and they have a Buffalo boy (Patrick Kane).

Washington meets Chicago in the Finals. You can flip a coin to see who wins.



No comments:

Post a Comment